The instructions for preparing and submitting your application material and work samples are on the NEA's website. If you have the instructions open on your computer (specifically "Step 2: Submit Materials to NEA-GO"), you have all of the instructions that you need.
Otherwise, you can find the instructions at: arts.gov/grants
NEA Online Tutorial: Using the Grant Application Form (GAF)
This helpful tutorial provides technical information to assist you in using our online Grant Application Form or "GAF" while submitting your application.
Also, save character space by limiting the use of tabs.
- Submit your materials to NEA-GO prior to the deadline to give yourself ample time to resolve any problems that you might encounter. You take a significant risk by waiting until the day of the deadline to submit.
- Most problems can be solved by changing your browser. If that doesn't work, change devices.
- NEA staff will not be available to help you after 5:30 p.m., Eastern Time, on the day of the deadline.
- Don't forget to hit the "Submit" button when you are ready to submit your application.
- NEA-GO closes at 11:59 p.m., Eastern Time, on the day of the deadline. Be sure you have finished uploading your materials and hit the "Submit" button prior to that time.
- After submitting your application, you may log back into NEA-GO and make modifications to your submission up until the system closes on the day of the deadline. Remember to hit the "Save" and "Submit" button again prior the deadline.
- You may print a copy of your application at any time, whether in draft or final form, for your records. The print icon is located on the My Forms page.
- Some special characters (such as ampersands, quotation marks, apostrophes, and angle brackets) take up more character counts than others in webforms, including the Grant Application Form. This is because certain characters are translated into HTML code which takes up more than one character space. If you notice a higher than expected character count when you enter information directly into the Grant Application Form or copy and paste from your word processing program, here are a few tips:
- Transfer your text into a text-only utility like Notepad before pasting it into the Grant Application Form. This will delete hidden HTML code to ensure the proper capture of your text. However, any formatting you had will be deleted.
- Use a solution other than special characters. For example, instead of using quotation marks for titles of works, put them in italics and that won't affect character count.
- Use only one space after the end of sentences. Single spaces after punctuation marks (periods, commas, colons, etc.) only reduce the character counter by one character. If you enter two spaces after a period, HTML coding adds extra spaces.
7. You will receive one confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org after you have submitted the Grant Application Form. You will not receive additional emails if you modify your submission before the NEA-GO system closes.